Monday, September 08, 2008

Ruth chapter 2

vs 1

Boaz is either a man of wealth or a man of standing. I guess we all know that one can quite easily make the other, so there it is.

vs 2
This was supposed to be the normal process in the lands of Israel - it was a method of support for the widow and other unfortunate members of society. The word 'glean' is used in the older translations.

I haven't translated this far yet... wondering if I should wait till we've finished... but I've started now. I am interested to know what the term "in whose eyes I find favour" is like.

vs 3

"As it turned out" is a code word for saying "And so God made it happen" - it's one of the themes of Ruth that God works through happenstance. I think this makes it clear that Ruth didn't go looking to glean in the fields of someone who might "favour" to marry her or anything like that - it was more a case of finding someone who would allow her to just glean in their fields.

vs 4

Either this was a typical greeting between wealthy land owner and workers, or Boaz is well liked by his workers. It seems that the picture painted of him is a kind and thoughtful man who looks after others, so I've always liked the idea of the second one. After all, if it were simply a cultural thing, then it would be less likely to be written in - people who live in a culture tend to leave out things that they think are normal in writing - ceremonial washings and the like - unless they are trying to explain them to non-locals.

vs 5

Now, it depends on how you read it - either he saw a tasty bit of crumpet in the field and was asking about it, or he just had a care for his workers which is shown by him not recognising one of them.

Of course, Ruth, as a moabite woman, would probably show out like a sore thumb too.

vs 6

Now, Boaz would have heard all about that anyway, no doubt, but since Naomi was a relative (at least of the same clan) then he probably would have taken a special interest in the knowledge.

vs 7

Who knows how long that had been. Regardless, the idea is to paint a picture of a conscientious worker who is working hard not just for herself, but to support her widowed mother-in-law who is a relative of Boaz.

vs 8

Now, what are Boaz's intentions? Is it merely that he knows Ruth will be looked after if she stays in his field? Is he being nice to her because she is family (or a sort)? Or again, is he not wanting to lose his chance with the fine moabite tail? The more I think about it, the less likely the third one is going to be recorded for posterity.

vs 9

The fact that, in another field, Ruth may have been molested by male farm workers is just further testimony against the Israelites during the time of the judges, I suppose. Or perhaps he is being less sinister in his suggestion, and merely suggesting that normally such beggars were ejected from fields if they stayed too long.

vs 10

Ruth knows her position. I guess what she doesn't know is that Boaz is related.

vs 11

News travels fast.

vs 12

That is a very nice picture. Ruth has lost something akin to what Naomi has lost - a husband and therefore a livelihood, with no children to support her. That neither her nor Orpah had kids is just further testimony to God's leading (and perhaps punishment on Elimelech for taking his family out of Israel). The idea that God offers refuge to the widow, even the widow from a foreign land, is a very comforting notion. The idea that he also rewards the faithful is strong.

3 comments:

Nina May said...

I was thinking - again, this being in the time of the Judges - that maybe the fact that anyone greeted anyone by invoking the Lord was unusual, and is included for that reason. And to tell the reader immediately that Boaz was a God-fearing man in a population that, by and large, couldn't care less about God.

The other odd little thing is that the NASB implies that Boaz returns during the midday meal, and all his workers are gathered right there, eating (making it easier for him to greet them en masse, and to spot the stranger amongst them, I guess), but other translations don't give it that spin. What's up with that? Perhaps once you've translated it, you will know! I've been told a few times now that the NASB is the "most accurate", at which I narrow my eyes slightly - I haven't had a chance to get into the discussion of what standard of accuracy they are judging this by - literal, word-by-word stuff or "clear" modern meaning or what.

Once you make a whole translation of the bible, you could call it the Rkfmvej Version. I'd read it.

Anonymous said...

Re: point one; I guess I thought I'd made that implicit, but really should have made it explicit.

But you have made it explicit, so now I don't have to!

Re: point two; umm... wha? Number 3 bible in my list is NASB, and I don't see anything about a midday meal in verses 1-12.

In verse 14, which I'll look at today, it does mention "mealtime" (the same word used in the (T)NIV and the KJV, so I see no creativity or boudless accuracy there.

Sure, you can assume it's the midday meal from the context - but can't you do that from all the translations?

I would never translate the Bible. I suck at language.

Nina May said...

More in the presentation of the order of gleaning and resting in verse 7 than anything else (and then, yes, going beyond that to about verse 14, which could be read as one scene - because it's not the final mealtime, since they go out to glean afterwards).

The other translations say she's been working the whole time except for one break (how exact is this servant?! I wonder if that's another Boaz character note - that as a good manager of his wealth, he demands precision from those who serve him? Just a thought, probably a long bow), whereas the way the NASB presents it she's been working the whole time and currently is resting in the house - presumably with everyone else, who Boaz just greeted.

Anyhow. I'm not bothered, I was just wondering about it.

You're welcome for the context clarification - I just have to remind myself that just because it's the bible doesn't mean it's the culturally perfectly natural thing for everyone to be going about blessing one another in the Lord. It just seems that way sometimes.