Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hebrews chapter 7

For such an imposing book, this is the first chapter that's been more than 20 verses.

vs 1

This is just historical stuff. All laid out in the Genesis account. Nothing to see here.

vs 2

Those sound like fairly messianic titles, so that's kinda cool. Surely they meant something when Genesis was written too. The fact is that Genesis has a lot of stuff written in this mystic sort of style, where people's names mean things and such.

vs 3

Now I've got to say that this is not based on meaningless gibber. The genealogies are taken seriously by the Jews obviously, and not just for showing a record of family line - they represent a line of life and death, continuing death after Adam, in fact. Hence the importance of Enoch, who lives but does not die. Melchizedek neither is born nor dies. The author says this resembles the Son of God, but who it really resembles is God.

vs 4

Well, if he's God or the Son of God, then it only stands to reason. Why does Abraham give him the 10%? As a show that he believes Melchizedek is really a priest of God Most High?

vs 5

Now we see the beginnings of a rabbinic argument. It looks at the tithe - a tenth of everything paid to the Levites to (among other things) support them in their ministry between Israel and God.

vs 6

The point being that Melchi is not a Levite - that his priesthood is of a different order. His own order.

vs 7

Which is kinda humbling, really. I always say "God bless you" - and I guess that's the right thing to say, because the greater blesses the lesser. But my own blessing should only really be on those lesser than me. Do I really want to claim that over anyone?

vs 8

Declared seems like too long a bow - inferred via rabinnical argument, perhaps.

vs 9

I guess one might say that. Certainly we don't see things that way, but then we don't draw up long genealogies either. I don't even know my grandfathers' names, although in that I am probably a little ahead of my time. Certainly I know nothing about their fathers, and who knows anything of their fathers before them?

The thing is, though, that they did say things like that, so for them it's important. I mean, I guess my future kids paid for my shoes, because they were still in my body at the time. That's less meaningful, though - although they will inherit my shoes.

No comments: