Monday, July 13, 2009

Psalm 22

vs 11

Jesus was, at his last, left pretty much alone. There was no one to help. David had times like that too, where everyone had forsaken him, and he was all alone. I guess we've all had times like that - either where there's no-one around to help, or nothing they could do.

vs 12

Bulls of Bashan, always with the bulls of Bashan. I'm sure it's poetic, and that he's not actually being surrounded by bulls. Strong males, perhaps armies of Bashan? More likely just a typical enemy of Israel.

vs 13

Again, David might have been worried about lions as he was out in the wilderness, but I think it's more a word picture. Like we would say someone is "out for blood", but they usually aren't. Of course, in the case of David, and Jesus, people actually were out for their blood.

vs 14

This idea of people turning to water, or melting, is fairly typical for losing courage. It's how the people of Jericho, and the whole promised land, are described when they know Israel is coming. I guess they couldn't say 'turned to jelly' because they didn't have it.

vs 15

I've got to say the TNIV makes more sense on this one, regarding 'mouth' over 'strength'. It's easy to swap words in Hebrew sometimes, especially when it can be a matter of vowels, that aren't actually in the originals (which of course we don't have, unless they're in the Dead Sea scrolls, which I believe are unpointed).

In any case, it is a picture of total fear - and fear is as good as death, I think the message is. Certainly if it is strength, then a lack of strength is as good as death when facing such adversaries.

vs 16

Obviously we Christians are going to favour the "my hands and feet" translation - it's so sharp and telling prophetically.

I don't know whether Jesus was surrounded by dogs - either real dogs or gentiles. He was certainly surrounded by villains, though! I don't know if David was literally surrounded by either, but it's a very poetic picture of defeat and almost certain destruction.

The thing that gets me, then, is why would David's hands and feet get pierced? What did he mean by that, since I assume that he wasn't going to get crucified? With the dogs and the thieves, the lions almost fit better for his situation. But I think this verse might be called on in this form in the NT. Unfortunately, I can't check right at this second.

vs 17

The TNIV departs from the traditional "I can count all my bones" here. I mean, the prophetic meaning of their translation probably isn't all that different, is it? But it's probably a little more gruesome for David's sake - it's either that he is emaciated and thin, or that literally all his bones are on display - eww. No wonder people would stare and gloat.

vs 18

This I am assuming is more common in the ancient world than we might assume. The coincidence otherwise is just uncanny. It doesn't make it any less prophetically awesome in my view, but I would assume that the division and sale of clothes would be something a victor (or at least a villain) would do. Hey, people still get mugged for shoes.

vs 19

No-one else is going to help, but you can always call on God. Even when every other strength has failed, God is strong, and is usually willing to help too.

vs 20

Obviously the sword is a fairly legitimate and immediate concern for David. For Jesus, it might represent the power of the governing authorities. In any case, rescue is required.

No comments: