Saturday, August 08, 2009

Ecclesiastes chapter 8

vs 1

I wasn't aware that wisdom was a beauty treatment. I think the point of the first half of the verse is that you need to be wise to be... er, wise. Sometimes simple things need to be pointed out.

vs 2

If he's talking to Israelites, then I guess that's true. Reading this, though, doesn't it just seem odd that Solomon would have to say it? A mark in favour for psuedopygraphy, methinks.

vs 3

I'm not quite sure of the reasoning behind this advice on court ettiquette. I mean, I understand the advice itself. But why is it here? Because obeying the king is wise?

vs 4

Perhaps it is giving a picture of God? I mean, that's what a king is, ultimately.

vs 5

It could be just wise advice for those living under kings. Sometimes they go nuts, but disobeying them won't make you live any longer under a crazy king than obeying him.

vs 6

Hearkening back to chapter 3 a little here, I think.

vs 7

And that's the thing - you may as well follow the rules, even if you're in a bad position, or the king is nuts or whatever, because eventually things might work out for the best. And if they don't, well, you've already had the rest of the book tell you life sucks.

vs 8

I think wind sounds better than spirit, because it leaves a cool little wordplay, but keeps the window open on the metaphor. It's an interesting statement with regards to wickedness. It really is a trap. Baited with something tasty, but once it has you, it doesn't let go. Bastard.

No comments: