Monday, April 26, 2010

Ezekiel chapter 1

vs 10

Lion, Ox, Eagle - all of which are powerful beings.

vs 11

Why do their wings cover their bodies? I have no idea. Unless it is to keep themselves covered for the sake of decency. I mean, they are beasts with human faces.

vs 12

We've already heard about them going straight ahead. But it's the mention of spirit that seems odd to me. I would have thought it would be the wind they are following. When did the spirit come into it, and why, if it is the spirit of God, isn't it capitalised? Perhaps it will become clear.

vs 13

Scary stuff. I don't know that it is meant to really symbolise anything more than a very scary and impressive approach.

vs 14

So they moved in straight lines and didn't turn, but they sped back and forth? The flashes of lightning bit makes me think that they're almost blinking forward and backward, like a movie special effect.

vs 15

Just one wheel each? So they're not chariots. Unicycles? I think I'd pay to see that circus.

vs 16

Right, so the wheels are all alike, made of topaz, and a wheel intersecting a wheel? Okay. I mean, if you're trying to confuse me, you've succeeded.

vs 17

Ahh, see, I was going to ask about that. Because I thought they were in a line, and then a verse earlier said something about all their wingtips touching, and I thought, "but doesn't that mean they'd be in a circle?" I thought I was being anal, but look, here it is in black and white.

Now, apparently these wheels can travel sideways. Which sort of makes more sense with the wheel-intersecting-wheel thing. I mean, how else would you describe that? It sounds like four ribs that make up a hollow ball to me now. Topaz? Still weird for a wheel, or gyroscopic bally thing.

vs 18

Okay, I was waiting for eyes. Now we have the all-seeing eye balls. I wouldn't want to have my eyes stuck to wheels rolling in the dirt. But you get the feeling that they see everything.

No comments: