Saturday, May 28, 2022

Sermon: Freedom to Serve (1 Corinthians 9:19-23)

 1 Cor 9:19-23 = Freedom to serve

 

A few weeks ago while we were away in Namibia I loaned our car to someone from Ministry of Game. He'd had a car accident just before we left, and needed a car to get to work. When we got back and he returned the car, he told me that one of the headlights had blown. And I thought, "That's okay. I've changed a headlight before. I'll fix that when I have some free time."

 

A couple of weeks passed, and I was driving along one night and noticed that the headlight was still out. "I really need to get around to that," I thought. "As soon as I have some free time."

 

A blown headlamp is not a hugely difficult job to replace, and it's important, not only to make sure my car is legally roadworthy, but also as a safety issue. So why did it take me so long to find the time to fix it? Because life is busy! Other things pop up. Penny came down with covid. I started back at work. I returned to Ministry of Game. I was asked to preach a sermon. I had the ability to fix the headlamp, but just couldn't find the time.

 

But it just so happens that during this same period with the broken headlamp I also had a lot of free time. I had pretty bad jetlag for about two weeks. I would regularly wake up at 2.00, 3.00, 4.00am and I would sit around twiddling my thumbs. 

 

Why didn't I go and fix the headlamp then? Because you can't get a new headlamp at 3am! The petrol stations around my area don't seem to stock them. I could get a coffee or a donut or petrol, but I couldn't get a headlamp. I had the time to fix it, but not the capacity. Anyone who has had long-term insomnia knows this feeling of having lots of time but few ways of redeeming it because of the circumstances.

 

It's interesting how two totally opposite life situations - high capacity low time, and high time low capacity - both end up with the same result: some important things don't get done. 

 

And I think often we feel like it's important work for God that falls through these cracks. We see opportunities to serve the gospel, but either we're too busy to make use of them, or our capacity means we're unable to do them. 

 

Then we read a message like the one Paul writes to the Corinthian church in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 where he claims that for the sake of the gospel he has become all things to all people so that by all possible means he might save some. He made himself a slave to everyone, he says, to win as many as possible. And sometimes we get tempted to just switch off and say, "That sounds really hard. I'm no Paul. I can't even find time to change a headlamp. I can't even sleep. It's just going to make me feel bad thinking about it. This passage isn't for me. I just can't do that."

 

Now the thing is there is a challenge to us in this passage, but let me tell you it's not one that should leave us feeling like that! Paul isn't talking about his life in order to make us feel bad, or to try and big note himself. And he's not saying that every Christian's life needs to follow the same exact pattern that his did. We don't all need to be church planters, pastors, evangelists, missionaries, preachers, writers of scripture. Earlier in Corinthians he says that he thinks it would be great if we all stayed single, but he knows even that isn't realistic, and isn't God's plan! We don't have to live the same life as Paul, perform the same actions as Paul. God's plan is big enough for all people to play their part: Jew or gentile, rich or poor, young or old, single or married, male or female, slave or free.

 

Paul is talking about his life because he really was devoted to the gospel, and that devotion is clear in how he has lived his life, and he's saying that makes him someone worth listening to about how we all should live if we want to be devoted to the gospel. This whole chapter has basically been about Paul's resumé of why the Corinthian church should listen to him when he answers them about how they should use their freedom in life.

 

In our specific section he's addressing the freedom God has given him to choose what he does with his life, what choices he makes about what he does with his time, and who should get the benefit of his efforts. He's really clear about it: he is prepared to give up "his" way of doing things - the way of life that might make him more comfortable or more at ease or fit better in with his peers - in order to provide more opportunities for the gospel to be heard and accepted by other people. He becomes what people need to be able to give the gospel a fair hearing. He does it for the sake of the gospel.

 

We have that same freedom. Just like Paul, God has given us the freedom to choose what we do in our lives. And I don't mean that vacuously, like when we say to kids, "You can be anything you want when you grow up; you could be Chief Justice of the High Court if you work hard!" Only 13 people have ever held that position in Australia's history; no doubt there have been lots of people who worked very hard in their lives and yet were disappointed - the chances of getting there are perishingly small. We're not God; we don't get to determine how everything happens.

 

But God is God, and he could determine everything for us. Like windup robots, all our moves could be predetermined so that we have no say. But amazingly, graciously, he allows us to make choices about our lives - sometimes bigger choices, and sometimes smaller ones. Sometimes we have the freedom to make changes to our lives, and other times we can find ourselves trapped in our circumstances and our only choice is how we deal with it. Paul is saying when he has choices to make, he asks the question "How will this further the gospel?" and whatever the answer is, that's how he makes his decision.

 

And that way of treating choices has two results. First of all, it directly furthers the gospel! It means that all the choices we make are serving the gospel. And secondly, by making choices in our life that further the gospel instead of just whatever society wants, or what makes us the most money or the most happy or the most comfortable, the gospel becomes that much more credible to others because it's clear we take it seriously. We see this worked out in our passage today: Paul chooses to live his life in a way that helps Jews, gentiles, and even the weak in faith be won over by the gospel; and then he says to the Corinthians, "and because I live my life this way, I'm worth listening to about this".

 

But what about the busyness of life? Life has gotten busier for a lot of people. Kids have more structured sports, activities and club memberships, which means their parents have more time driving them around and attending them.  Older kids are more likely to have jobs. Most university students also hold down jobs at the same time as they study full-time, and many young adults in the workforce will find they need to continue upskilling with more study once they enter their career. Housing prices and cost of living continues to increase, along with a felt need for more stuff, and so the amount of time spent at work increases. With many families having both parents working, grandparents spend more time looking after grandkids.

 

Or what about my incapacities? This modern life also leaves people tired and depleted and lonely. People see friends and family less often - especially true in covid times, but even before that it was hard, because people had less time. People are lonelier than ever before. Just a really simple example: you don't talk to strangers on public transport or in public places or shops anymore. It's been a gradual thing over time, but when we lived in Namibia I noticed a marked difference in how open and affable complete strangers were.   

 

We can get really tied up in looking at what we aren't doing, and especially looking at certain activities that we see as really central to the service of the gospel - preaching, evangelistic programs, discipleship programs, mission work, volunteering on the church rosters - and the less we are doing of them, the less we think we're devoted to the service of the gospel. And so then we feel like we're failing God, because we're not living up to the example of Paul.

 

A couple of weeks ago I was having a chat with a young adult Christian man who works as a professional, and he was asking this question: why aren't more Christians reducing their workload, freeing up time, so they can spend more time doing work with the church and in activities that further the gospel?

 

And I said to him, Brother, since becoming a Christian I have tried to live a life dedicated to the gospel! Attending, hosting and running bible studies, preaching in churches around Australia, choosing my university studies based on how I thought I could serve the gospel, my first job out of uni was with a mission agency, then working for a charity for persecuted Christians, attending bible college, becoming a church elder, running youth groups and youth camps, founded and run Ministry of Game, taking part time jobs and pay cuts so that I have enough free time to devote to church ministries, donating a portion of my income, and even putting my profession on hold to go overseas as a missionary. I have chosen paths less travelled so that my opportunities for serving the gospel were higher, even if it meant other opportunities suffered. And I can tell you that now that I'm in my 40s, those sacrifices of time and reduced income and less professional development are taking their toll. Would I do it again? Probably. But I can tell you I can totally understand why some people would not, or could not, make those same sacrifices.

 

And I can still read what Paul says about his life and feel inadequate, because there have been opportunities that I have let pass by because I simply didn't have the wherewithal to take them on. There were needs I saw in Namibia that I desperately wished I could attend to, but even if I had the time, I didn't know where to begin. It's like when you see someone broken down on the side of the road with their car bonnet up and smoke pouring from the engine. I could stop and ask if they need help, but I can't fix the engine - I'm not a mechanic! That's just the way life is: even if you're choosing between serving the gospel by going left or serving the gospel by going right, when you choose one you can't do the other. You lose that opportunity at that time. None of us can do everything.

 

But the really great thing about Paul's focus on the choices we make is that those problems of having lots of opportunities but no time to act on them, or lots of time but no opportunities to act on, become less important. Now, obviously there are choices we can make in our lives that will free up our time and energies to be involved in those important ministries that serve the gospel, as I like to think I've done in my life. But just like Paul says he wishes everyone stayed single so they had more freedom to serve God the way he does, but that's simply not for everyone: we can't judge one another, and we can't judge ourselves, simply for not making those choices.

 

But you know what is for everyone? Making sure that the choices you do make are ones that you can see allow you to serve the gospel, because not only will this ensure that you are serving the gospel in everything you do, but it will also mean that the way you have consciously decided to live your life will be gospel-shaped, and that will give authenticity and genuineness to the gospel you share with others, because both your words and your deeds back it up. While the gospel message is always worth hearing, the gospel you share will be worth hearing from you.

 

And those choices about your life come in big and small sizes. Remember my headlamp? Pretty small thing. But the choice to fix it serves the gospel; leaving it broken does not. It's illegal and unsafe to drive around with a broken headlamp - and what will others think about the genuineness of my faith in Jesus if I won't take the time to fix such a small thing? I can tell you the moment I realised this might be a good illustration for my sermon, I went out and fixed the headlamp!

 

An example of a big decision might be what you're going to do with your life for the next few years. Since coming back from Namibia, I've had lots of people tell me, "I could never be a missionary in Africa." And many of them came up with really good reasons why! I honestly wasn't expecting that. I thought, "If someone like me could do it, surely anyone could." But just like marriage is not for everyone, neither is overseas mission. And of course I'm not dismissing the strength that God provides us to accomplish great things in his name - he has shown again and again that he can do such great things with weak people. And I'm not discounting the call of God on some people's lives - if you  hear it, you'll know, and you need to listen. But at that point it's a different kind of choice, because if you feel convicted by God to do something and you don't do it, that is sin. We shouldn't be choosing to sin.

 

But a lot of the time, the big choices we get to make about how we are going to shape our lives are choosing between two good things. The gospel can use accountants and police officers. It can use prayers and payers and pastors and parents. It can use the married and the single. Some of these big choices you can't make lightly: buying a house is a long-term commitment, but you can sell it; changing careers is a pain but you can do it; it's much more difficult to change marriage partners or having children.

 

Whatever choice you're making, when you're choosing between things, you need to look at them for yourself and weigh up for yourself how you see it allowing you to serve the gospel, because even though you might be choosing between two good alternatives in principle, in practice one might not be so good for you in your service to the gospel.  While doctors might be super useful to the gospel, you as a doctor might not be. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you in particular: maybe you'd be too distracted by the big salary, or you would have a bad bedside manner, or you'd get too frustrated by the years of study and you want to do something to help people right now!  That's one of the reasons I love Ministry of Game. It's a ministry that involves doing something I already love doing - playing games with people - and turns that thing into something I can do to serve the gospel by sharing my life with these people and contributing to their journey along the Waitara Path.

 

Not everything is going to be like that, sure - packing up chairs or cleaning up after cooking aren't my most favourite things, but I can see how they serve the gospel and so I choose to do them rather than not do them. And sometimes you have to choose to not do something now so you can do something later: I could volunteer every waking moment of my time to gospel ministry and I would pass out after about 72 hours I reckon, because I need sleep, I need to eat and drink, I need rest. This follows the emergency mask principle on the airplane. When they say in the safety instructions "Put on your own mask before helping others", that's because starving yourself of oxygen is not going to help you help more people. It's going to leave you unconscious on the floor needing someone else's help. So even choosing rest can be a choice for service of the gospel. You know I was more disappointed than I thought I'd be when I heard the church wasn't going to be a polling place for this election? I won't get to use my sausage flipping skills to serve the gospel. But rather than focus on the choice I didn't have, I needed to focus on the choice I did have: what was I going to do with my election day if not volunteer at church? And I ended up deciding I would just vote, and relax, and hang out with some friends and watch the results on TV. And it was a good use of time, and served the gospel by helping us rest and recuperate.

 

But here's the challenge in making these choices: whatever we choose, if we've made our choice in order to serve the gospel, we have to make sure that we actually use that choice to serve the gospel.

 

If you chose to babysit your grandchild instead of volunteering at church because you think it will serve the gospel better for you to be a godly Christian influence in the life of your grandchild, then you need to make sure you are actually being a godly Christian influence in their life for your service to be effective! If you chose the higher paying job because you feel you can serve the gospel better by having more money to give to mission work, then you need to actually give the money to mission work for that service to be effective! If you choose to get married instead of staying single, then you need to actually invest in your marriage as part of furthering the gospel for that service to be effective! If you choose to pray for something, then set aside a time where you can concentrate and reflect and pray thoughtfully and effectively! And when you choose to get involved in actual front-facing gospel ministries like teaching scripture, running youth group, attending a Bible study, then you have to work to be effective in those ministries - that means building relationships of trust and support and encouragement, learning what is being taught and teaching it effectively through what you say and how you live!

 

So what decisions are you in the process of making right now, this week, this month? What big and small decisions are coming up for you? I urge you this week as you make those decisions to factor into your decisionmaking how your choice is going to help you serve the gospel. Then I urge you to take that factor and put it at the top of your list in your decisionmaking. Let the service to the gospel rule your decision-making process. If you do, then by all means possible we might save some people. And alongside Paul, we can all share in the blessings of the gospel.

 

No comments: