Sunday, November 11, 2007

Acts chapter 2

vs 25-28

The important parts of David's psalm are the messianic parts (holy one not seeing decay for example), but also the hope that David sees because of God's character (my body lives in hope, you will not abandon me to the grave).

I mean, it's fairly obvious that David is writing about himself, but I find it fascinating that the hope that David has for himself then translates into a messianic hope (perhaps not purposefully on David's behalf).

vs 29

I wonder if David's tomb is still around? They seemed to know where it was. Anyway, that shows that his psalm obviously did not come true for him, at least in a medium-term sense.

vs 30

A vital covenant that I so often forget! I always focus on the Sinai covenant, and the Abrahamic covenant (because of my time in mission). But without the Davidic covenant, there is no build up of a messianic hope.

vs 31

Peter sees the abandonment to the dead as referring to Christ as well. Fair enough. That doesn't lessen the power of the davidic hope.

vs 32

I think the 'we all' is probably aimed primarily at the disciples, rather than the people in general. But the fact that a crowd of witnesses exists in the city should be more than sufficient.

vs 33

So what they now saw and heard was the pouring out of the Holy Spirit, Joel-style!

vs 34-35

This was one of the verses that Jesus himself used in discussions with the Pharisees - so I am assuming that it was a basis for at least a bit of teaching to the disciples.

vs 36

Peter's assurance is that this verse refers to the Messiah being made ruler over all things, and that the man David was referring to as his Lord was Jesus. I'd offer more thought on this one, but my neck hurts, and is blocking thought getting from my brain to my fingers.

No comments: