Saturday, May 17, 2008

Psalm 19

Lazy day

vs 8

Now that we've transferred from natural relevation to special revelation, David wants to make the most of it. God's commands not only are right and radiant (how exactly are laws radiant?), but David also wants to tell us what effects these laws have on us. The joy to the heart thing is fairly self explanitory. Is it linked to the laws' rightness? I wouldn't have a problem with that.

I also wouldn't have a problem with radiance being linked to the 'giving light to the eyes' - they seem aptly paired metaphors. But what do they mean? I know some people say that "light to the eyes" is an idiom for 'providing light so you can see your way'. I can't authenticate the veracity of that. I can tell you that eyes apparently had something to do with good health back then, so it is possible that light in the eyes means that you're healthy. But then, what does radiant word mean?

I mean, in its most basic meaning you'd say it provides light. So what is light a metaphor for? Is it the path guiding thing? That is certainly a reasonable thing to say about God's word. In the end I can't say for sure. Look up a commentary.

vs 9

Whoever translated that, and made it able to rhyme, is probably very proud of themselves.

The idea of fear being pure I think makes us think of pure terror. But actually, I think if we took out the selfish concern for personal welfare, then pure fear might actually look a lot more like a deep respect and awe for the thing that is mighty, powerful and worthy of fear.

As for God's word, it gets an excellent rap in this psalm. Sure, meaning trustworthy, and righteous, meaning there's nothing wrong about them at all. They are always in the right. Note, I wouldn't use God's word being 'righteous' to say that it's completely factually correct. Only that it is never morally wrong. Of course, I'm also not saying that I necessarily think God's word isn't factually correct - only that I wouldn't use this verse to defend it.

vs 10

We do well to value God's commands as precious. I mean, they are words directly from God to us - they should be precious. The sweetness thing can sometimes let us down though. I mean, preciousness and value are subjective in a way, but also objective in a way. Sweetness may be the same, but I think we can easily value it subjectively more, and that means that sometimes, like a honeycomb, it can be bitter and full of wax. But I think that bitterness comes from us and not from the Bible. Still, since we're reading it, we need to pray to God that he'll remove our bitterness so we can taste his sweetness.

vs 11

So they provide both warning and reward. That's a great verse. This is a really good psalm to keep in mind I think. And short.

vs 12

It's a novel idea - that we know ourselves better than anyone else. It's completely not true - you just ask a married person. There are things about yourself that you just never notice. So we can rely on God to forgive even our 'hidden faults' - the ones that we don't even see we have.

vs 13

Wow. I never knew a verse like this existed. Combined with the previous verse, we basically have a theology of hidden error (sins hidden from ourselves), and wilful sins (sins we know we do but do anyway). Potent stuff. This is fast becoming my favourite psalm.

David wants to be forgiven not just from his hidden sins, but also kept from wilfully sinning. Even though it's wilful, he acknowledges that he doesn't have the power to stop himself from doing it. He asks God to prevent him, because it is the wilful sins, not the hidden sins, that can rule over us. I totally agree with this. And it's a terrible truth.

But David sees it positively - he sees God's keeping of him as a key to him being innocent and blameless before God - which is of great worth to him. And to us all.

vs 14

I'm sure they were, David. You did well on this one.

No comments: