Monday, May 21, 2007

Luke chapter 3

vs 21

You can see, now, that we're winding back to during John's baptism ministry.

Now, this is not a typical event. This didn't happen every time John baptised someone. Luke doesn't go into the details of what happens when Jesus and John meet for Jesus to get baptised. Which is interesting, because it then makes the opening of heaven the primary witness to Jesus' messiahhood.

vs 22

I've never seen that "in bodily form" before. Funny how that happens. That says to me that it was a visible thing, like the way the Jesus film depicts it. Most of their budget was probably blown on training that dove ;)

This also means that it is entirely plausible that the voice from heaven was an audible voice.

vs 23

We learn now that Jesus was 30. Getting on a bit, really. And now, we start on the really interesting part - geneaologies!

Before you skip ahead, I just want to mention quickly that some of the big stupid arguments of the early church were about genealogies, so they were considered important at the time. Having said that, I don't think I'll have much to say about them besides the obvious. So first off, please note that we are tracing the line of Joseph. And that is a fair thing to do, because family lines follow people, not just blood. Jesus was adopted by Joseph, just like we're adopted by God.

vs 24

Ooh, another Joseph in there.

vs 25

Don't think these guys are the prophets. But it shows the names are fairly popular.

vs 26

Hehehe, one guy's called Yoda. The force runs strong in this family.

vs 27

I am sure Zerubbabel is important, but all I can think of now is that silly rhyme where he's called ze-rubber-ball. Probably a king or sommat.

vs 28

Er...

vs 29

I wonder why you'd call your kids Levi if you're not a Levite? I guess it's just a name.

vs 30

Man, can you imagine being able to trace your family so far back? Does it actually mean anything? Do they have any idea who these people are? I don't.

No comments: