Sunday, September 02, 2007

Luke chapter 21

vs 11

Earthquakes, famines and pestilences happen all the time, and happened before Jesus was even born. So don't think they're anything special. I mean, they might get worse, but we'll have to wait and see there. I don't think there's evidence that earthquakes are getting worse as the years go by.

Fearful events and great signs from heaven could be darn near anything. My (somewhat tired) point about verses like this these days is that when these things happen, they will be so obviously what they are that Christians will have no choice but to recognise them. Otherwise, what's the point of a "great sign from heaven" if we don't recognise it? And even then, we get these things wrong.

vs 12

This happened within months of Jesus' resurrection, so it's a little hard to judge this on the end-of-days timeline. All these nutter Christians who talk about the government building "sound barriers" on the motorways to prevent Christians from escaping the roads when they want to do their mass slaughters are honestly stupider than fried chicken. Christians are suffering this stuff now! Perhaps not in Australia, but then we've got to grow our minds to remember the entire Church, not just our backwater. And when it comes to church, Australia is a backwater.

Anyway, the persecution of Christians isn't going to point us any closer to the end times unless it becomes global (which it was in the 1st to 4th centuries, remember).

vs 13

Whether they listen or not is of course not up to us. But even in persecution or death, a Christian can be a witness.

vs 14

Ok, now this verse I think particularly is weird. Don't be concerned with your defence. I think the problem I have with this passage mostly is the english translation. The translation is fine - it's idiomatic english that's the problem! I think when I read this, I see the phrase "not to worry" and I think "she'll be right". But I don't think that's what it's saying. Or perhaps "don't worry about it", and I think "don't think about it". But I don't think it's saying that either.

I think it's fine to think about your defence. The idea here is not to worry about it, in the more proper sense of a troubled concern or desperation over it. So we are allowed to use our brains here.

vs 15

That's the gospel. It can't be contradicted, although many have tried.

vs 16

I suggest reading Deuteronomy 13:6-10 in comparison with this verse, and tell me that the Law itself did not condemn Christians.

vs 17

And if we really stuck our necks out for the gospel, this is how it would be. And I don't mean they'd hate us because we badger them with our views and it's annoying. It's not "all men will be annoyed at you because of me". It's because we confront them with a truth about their own sinfulness and the judgement to come, and their inability to fix it on their own. Everyone hates those two things about the gospel.

Remember that - men will hate you because of God (and his gospel and his actions), but shouldn't because of you and your actions.

vs 18

Now you've really got to wonder - this is surely an odd thing for Jesus to say. Of the 12 apostles, (not to mention the other disciples around), how many of them were martyred? So what does Jesus mean here? I hate to say it, but I think you've got to read this verse in context with the next verse...

vs 19

which means that lots of hairs are going to perish, along with the rest of your body if you're not careful (or even regardless of care). But this has to be held against the life you will gain from standing firm. In the long run, our eternal hair will not be harmed. I said I don't like that reading, and that's because it's not a simple reading, it's a complex reading. But I don't think you can read it another way.

vs 20

But only its desolation. Jerusalem has been surrounded by armies at least 5 major times in history - I don't think Jesus came back after any of those, so I'd say it's probably not a good sign on its own. We've got to remember our history, people! Far too often we jump from 1st century to 21st century. It's unhealthy. Stretches the pants.

No comments: