Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Luke chapter 23

vs 45

Two important things in the one verse! Do you get the idea that Luke is trying to fit as many things that he found out happened that day into the story, and he just piles them up on top of each other?

The sky was darkened, and because someone translated the times in the TNIV, you can tell that it's unnatural! Also, the curtain in the temple tore from top to bottom. Now, if you're a gentile, this is going to confuse you somewhat when you're reading Luke's book, so he obviously assumes some knowledge. Unless pagan temples had some similar design.

vs 46

The last words of Jesus, according to Luke. Jesus had a lot of last words. I think these are the least interesting. Which may well make them his actual last last words. I don't really think the order in which he said his last sentences is important. It's less important when you die on a cross I think. He's been up there for hours.

vs 47

I'm guessing "seeing what had happened" is the whole story of the day, not just the death. The death in itself wasn't all that righteous. The darkness and everything will have helped.

vs 48

Cultural thing I'm guessing. And I'm not actually sure what it means. I think it's a mourning thing.

vs 49

So those that knew him stayed around, watching everything. Especially the women. That gives us a good idea about where the witness accounts came from for this part of Luke's writing.

vs 50

A new character emerges on the scene.

vs 51

Luke certainly makes him sound righteous. I wonder if the suggestion "waiting for the Kingdom of God" means that the other members of the council weren't necessarily?

vs 52

I don't know what happened to bodies that weren't claimed. Knowing the time, though, they were thrown in the nearest ditch.

vs 53

Was it his? Well, after reading about how righteous he was, I am assuming it was either his family tomb, or he bought it off someone. You wouldn't steal someone else's tomb if you were a righteous man.

vs 54

I think this verse exists to remind us what day it was, but also why more extensive body preparations weren't taken.

vs 55

The NASB says "low his body was laid", which makes me think they saw it was laid without lots of preparation, rather than just seeing where it was laid.

vs 56

Because they are holy women! Pardon me for thinking it, but I imagine Luke sitting there, listening to a gaggle of old Jewish women tell the story in pepperpot voices. "Ooh! You must put in a verse about us being obedient to the sabbath, dearie! We don't want people to think we was mixin' spices on the Sabbath!"

No comments: