Sunday, March 02, 2008

Acts chapter 27

vs 23


Just before we discuss what the angel said exactly, I want to point out at this stage that the people on the boat are not of the average opinion of modern people when presented with this statement. Just imagine if you were on a Manly ferry, and you said, "Don't worry - no one here's going to die, although the ferry is going to be destroyed. I saw an angely last night which stood beside my bed..." You wouldn't get to verse 24 before they'd turfed you over the side as a loony.


vs 24


I must say, that is a pretty gracious God. Imagine knowing as a non-Christian how many times you had been graciously overlooked for catastrophe for the sake of your Christian aquaintences, or even Christian strangers. Doesn't even bear thinking about. Although I've got to say that the amount of daily death-defying things we do as a race is pretty incredible. I think cars as a mode of transportation work only by the grace of God.

vs 25

Paul's message is for these non-Christians to keep their courage, because he has faith in his God. Not because they have faith in his God. It's only because of Paul that God is going to keep this boat afloat. For a little while longer.

vs 26

There was a Christian guy who made a "prophecy" concerning the 2007 Federal election, saying that he had been told by God to 'anoint' John Howard as Prime Minister, and Peter Costello as the next Prime Minister.

Ha.

Ha ha ha.

Thing is, he said that this prophecy was "conditional on the people of God voting these anointed ones back in" or some such drivel. Sorry, but when God speaks, things happen regardless of our actions.

I will believe the first person who says to me "An angel spoke to me last night, and said a terrible thing has to happen, but I can tell you so specifically what's going down, and what must happen, that don't worry about it, because it's pretty much out of your hands anyway".

Actually, I probably won't.

vs 27

Ancient sailors had spidey senses.

vs 28

Basically, getting less deep.

vs 29

Which is an interesting thing to pray for, considering its usual daily appearance. But remember, they hadn't seend stars or the sun for days because of the storms. Now all they really want is not to wash up on rocks and die. Who are they praying to, I wonder?

vs 30

Well, whoever they were praying to, they weren't really all that faithful that it was going to happen. Now, don't get me wrong - I am very much a 'Trust in God, but lock your car' type person. I had my prayer theology sorted out by swooping magpies. But there is a difference between praying "God, I hope my car doesn't get stolen - thanks for supplying locks for it" and "God, can you bring out the sun so we don't crash into rocks and die? Oh, this lifeboat? That's nothing, just sort of in case you don't answer my prayers the way I wanted..."

vs 31

Now, why is that? And how did Paul know? Is he talking out of his arse? I don't have the answer to any of these questions, but it's incredible that so many questions can come from such a verse.

Some answers could be "Because they had to have faith in God, and see that it was God alone that was going to save them" (but really, God was going to save Paul no matter what because he had a specific plan for Paul - if those sailors wanted to disobey, why couldn't they?), "Because God told Paul" (Wow, God was really very specific when he sent that angel.) "Yup, Paul is just making it up, on the assumption that he knows why God's doing it this way and how God's got it planned" (Why not? Could be.)

vs 32

Oh well, now they either trust that Paul's God is right, or they all die. If someone did that today, I think we'd call it a suicide cult.

vs 33

Wait - so they had food, but didn't eat it? Perhaps the storm was so fierce that they thought if they ate, they'd just barf it up again anyway. 14 days without food - ergh. Different lifestyle.

No comments: