Monday, March 03, 2008

Acts chapter 27

vs 34

Their lack of eating has been from being panic stricken - Paul is now trying to tell them that they don't need to panic, that they are going to be fine, but they need to eat.

Ok, so here's the rub - Paul says "God is going to miraculously save you from this shipwreck so that you are not harmed. But if you don't eat, you won't survive." Can anyone else see the paradox? God will work a miracle for a shipwreck, but you've still gotta eat.

vs 35

Well, if this isn't a direct comparison to the last supper, I don't know what is.

vs 36

That they did eat shows that Paul's words and positive attitude were having an impact. But besides - if they were all going to die, why not eat first?

vs 37

Wow. It's a pretty big boat. You don't really get that impression until now. Well, I didn't. But 276 is huge. I don't know how many a Manly Ferry can carry, but I think it'd be hard pressed with that many people.

vs 38

I'm not sure what's happening here. If everyone really was sure that they were going to wreck the ship, then who throw the grain overboard? I guess because it was good sailing practice. If God has a plan that is a bit out of the ordinary, I guess it is still a good idea to do the best practice that you have at hand.

vs 39

Sounds risky to me. Note that daylight came (for those sailors praying for it?).

vs 40

All sounds very exciting. I guess they want the boat as light as possible so that they can wreck as close to land as they can?

vs 41

Didn't work. Now they're still away from shore, but with no boat to get them there, no lifeboat either!

vs 42

That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Especially for prisoners who haven't been found guilty yet! Getting on the wrong side of the law is really quite nasty.

vs 43

How far are you going to get, honestly? I mean, are you going to take the risk of swimming to anywhere further than the closest part of dry land after all you've been through with storms and stuff? I think not.

vs 44

So it was that, even with all these odd events, not a single person died. 276 people, some of whom couldn't swim, were on a boat that got haxoored on a sandbar, some had to paddle to safety on bits of boat, and yet all made it. I would say God's providence is fairly obvious there.

No comments: