Friday, March 06, 2009

Deuteronomy chapter 11

vs 1

I wish I'd kept count, now. It would have been interesting.

vs 2

No, they weren't - they'll no doubt get their own though.

vs 3

The idea that he is talking to parents of children who weren't there, though, makes me think that it was just a generation of fighting men (and perhaps their wives?) who died. So perhaps the oldies like him are still alive, having treked through the desert. I wonder what scholars have to say about it? Probably don't even think it's an issue.

vs 4

Just a reminder that God shed a lot of blood to get them out of Egypt - he'll shed more getting them into Palestine - or whatever it was called. Canaan? Plus other bits?

vs 5

That is, all the provision of food and water, and non-wearing out of clothes, and protection from snakes, and also some judgment and punishment too.

vs 6

This was apparently a big deal for Israel, these people being swallowed up. It is a pretty cool story.

vs 7

So those who are there now listening to Moses are eye-witnesses. It was them, it wasn't their children. I feel that has been cleared up, even if it does force me to ask other questions about who exactly died in the desert.

vs 8

I can't say that I think following God's laws makes you a strong warrior. The strength he talks of I think is the strength of the Lord - that if they follow God's commands, God will give them strength - perhaps directly, in the strength of their arm, perhaps indirectly in the strength of character to go through with what they have to do, perhaps supernaturally in going ahead and causing mayhem.

vs 9

With this in mind, it seems to be an ongoing strength of spiritual will - not only will they take the land, but also to live in the land under God's commands. It might seem weird - "follow the commands so you have the strength to follow them" - but that just reminds me of some advice John Wesley was given when he wasn't sure about whether he should preach the gospel if he didn't believe it. He was told, "Preach it until you believe it, then preach it because you believe it."

vs 10

Irrigated it by foot? You mean on foot? What? I don't understand. The point being the land won't be like that.

vs 11

Mmmm, mountains and valleys. You know, it doesn't actually sound that appealing to me. But I guess it rains a lot, instead of needing irrigation from the Nile. Also, it will be theirs, and I do know that having your own land is a lot more appealing than living on someone else's.

No comments: