Sunday, March 22, 2009

Deuteronomy chapter 16

Honestly, I have not worked out when I am going to find time to do this over the next three weeks... I've only been at school one day, and it was so draining. And I have to get up so early...

vs 1

Go the TNIV for having the guts to retransliterate. They still don't change names though.

Passover is an important time - it marks the final release of Israel from Egypt, and shows their special markedness.

vs 2

Ok, this sentence is woefully put together - regardless of translation. I mean, I'm sure it's understandable, but you have to read it a few times. Perhaps I was just out too late last night.

vs 3

They remember themselves being captives... but of course they can only remember that for one generation, perhaps two. After that, they are putting themselves back into that situation mentally. And in case they can't be bothered doing a mental reconstruction, they are helped by not being allowed to use yeast.

vs 4

The same rules that applied on the passover night.

vs 5

Interestingly a verse all on its own... you would hope that the verse has a caveat, or else it might be quite a difficult feast.

vs 6

So you must travel to celebrate passover, like some of the other feasts. Its day is a specific anniversary of what it celebrates, since it is celebrating a historical event.

vs 7

Because you also have to live in a tent while you eat the passover, is that right? I mean, surely once they're in the promised land they won't have to live in tents.

vs 8

I've written a whole lot on the do-no-work thing, so I won't repeat myself.

vs 9

I love these arbitrary dates for festivals. It's like Groundhog Day. Well, actually I believe that Groundhog day is a specific day, but you know what I mean.

vs 10

Free will doesn't mean you can't give it, I don't think. Instead it means 'give something extra'. This is part of the law, after all.

vs 11

Weeks is a fun celebration anyway - it's all about joyful fun and happiness at the good blessings of God. Why not chip in some stuff and join the party? Everyone's invited, after all.

No comments: