Thursday, February 04, 2010

Proverbs chapter 28

vs 19

It's not that I don't agree, except of course that we don't live in a farming economy, and a lot of people today chase their dreams and actually succeed. Which really means that you have to read this verse carefully, because otherwise it will just seem like garbage.

vs 20

'Richly blessed' doesn't necessarily mean blessed with riches, but 'not go unpunished' does mean 'God has your ass', so choose which you prefer.

vs 21

I assume they're saying the piece of bread is like a bribe for showing partiality. And you know, if people are in the wrong mood, they will take a piece of bread and it will change their decision. So this is absolutely right. Watch yourself whenever you need to make an important decision.

vs 22

So don't be stingy! I can be stingy sometimes. Am I eager to get rich? Probably eager to be a little more comfortable, which isn't all that different. Perhaps that's why I'm poor. Heh, just kidding, I'm not poor.

vs 23

Assuming the person needed a rebuke, anyway. Flattery isn't encouragement, either. Encouragement is good.

vs 24

Bastard people who rob their parents. I'm not exactly the best child, but I'd never try and steal from under them while they convalesce. Funny the things that upset me.

vs 25

People do have problems with greediness, and greedy people do tend to have disagreements a lot, especially with other greedy people. So I guess sometimes we've got to be prepared to give things up, and trust that God will take care of it.

vs 26

It makes sense to trust in God. It looks like it makes sense to trust in yourself, but really, if you look at yourself, you know how crap you are. Go on, do it. Yeah.

vs 27

See, this makes no sense. Who suffers from not giving to the poor? But God doesn't like it. He will make sure you pay, in a total non-cause-effect type way. Which is scary, because our brains don't work that way.

vs 28

And they will perish. That's the thing about wickedness, it does perish. Righteousness is by its nature eternal. I only just realised that recently. It was in one of my sermons. Interestingly, wickedness generally perishes at the hands of the wicked. God doesn't like to do his own dirty work sometimes - he just lets the dirty do it of their own free will.

No comments: