Saturday, February 06, 2010

Proverbs chapter 29

vs 1

You know what? I think we sail way too close to the wind with a lot of things we do. The first thing I thought when I read this verse was, "How many?" The answer of course being, "One too many."

vs 2

We've heard this a few times now. People do like a little bit of wickedness. Sometimes they like a lot of wickedness. But I don't think they like it languishing in leadership.

vs 3

Wisdom and the joy of a father, versus prostitutes and the squandering of wealth. Obviously there are cultural mores here that work strongly. But also personal attraction of keeping wealth is an attraction, I guess.

vs 4

Stability means knowing what is going to happen. Bribes will always happen, but knowing that punishments will be meted out equally and fairly means people can know what to expect, know they won't be ripped off easily, and they feel more comfortable taking risks and doing business.

vs 5

So you'll catch yourself in them? How might this work? Well, I guess you could, for example, flatter your neighbours, then talk about them behind their backs, only for them to hear it and then know you're full of it?

vs 6

I suppose because nothing is snaring them.

vs 7

Easy way to tell a righteous person, or a wicked one, I guess. Justice, so important to wisdom. So important to God.

vs 8

So fools can start riots. Only the wise can stop them.

vs 9

I can vouch for this. Fools in court bring no peace. Witness John Wilson, who has been in court representing himself for 14 straight years. Or whatever his name is, nobody cares.

No comments: