Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Proverbs chapter 30

vs 1

So, Agur - everyone loves Agur. Who is Agur? No idea. What he says is apparently inspired, though, and we assume it's wise since it's in here. Now it depends how you break it up in Hebrew, apparently - it could say different things. That's why you will see it different in the TNIV to all the others. What does one do in this situation? Because the Masoretic text reads it the old way... can we be so bold as to reword it based on a different pointing? It's a pretty bold step on behalf of the TNIV committee. Having said that, the only way to otherwise read the words is as pronouns, which is pretty weak if you ask me.

But then, even the optionally different translation in the NIV is different. Nothing about prevailing. Lucky it's not a hugely important passage in the great scheme of things.

vs 2

This starts off sounding a little Ecclesiastical (capital E, talking about the book, not the church). The idea here being, I'd say, that Agur is humbling his wisdom.

vs 3

See, now if this is true, why are your words here, mate? Surely this is self-deprecating.

vs 4

Okay, well if this is what he's talking about then obviously we're all in the same dark boat on this one. But look at that last statement - who is God's son? We know that! We know more than you, Agur!

vs 5

Damn right. And who'd have thought that would include your words, Agur? You must be proud.

vs 6

See, Agur here wasn't trying to add to God's words. Someone just submitted his stuff to the editor, I guess. But we shouldn't seek to add to them. We should listen, and not put words in God's mouth.

That's actually harder than it sounds.

vs 7

Seems an odd thing, to request things from God in this way. And yet, God asks for it, so why not?

vs 8

Are those the two things? For the moment let's say they are.

Ahh, lies and falsehood. What a great idea, to keep them far from you. Something to strive for.

And he's really a man after my own heart here. Not rich, not poor, just what he needs. I'd love to live like that. I tend to be what I need... and then a thing or three more. Sigh. Damn materialism.

vs 9

He knows his limits, this man. Do I have the courage to look at myself so soberly and ask God for what I really need - being able to judge where I stand and ask for what I need to be able to not bring dishonour to him on either side? Not always.

vs 10

Absolutely. This never ends well. I wonder what this says about prayer, though. I mean, if we complain about people to God, especially his servants, how's that going to look? Well, I suppose he'll deal with it. The verse is about the servant getting upset anyway, not the master.

vs 11

This is the start of a long list. We might see the end of it tomorrow.

No comments: