Friday, October 02, 2009

Proverbs chapter 1

So, I don't know whether Proverbs is really going to lend itself to this reading style... but what the hey. I mean, in one way it will be the best book to break up into verses, because it is done that way already. But they are also probably self-explanitory for the most part.

vs 1

So unlike Qoheleth, this seems to be fairly straightforward in its introduction and authorship. No doubt I could go and pick up a commentary that would tell me different, but they would have to admit that this is much more straight up and down than Ecclesiastes, which is all twists and turns. That speaks in its favour to me.

vs 2

So, the KJV translates this a little differently - putting it in infinitives (like the NASB). I don't think the overall reading of the passage is that much different for it. The verse seems to be suggesting that these proverbs exist for the further understanding of wisdom. So the proverbs contain wisdom, but also allow the further understanding of wisdom.

vs 3

I can't help but comment - the KJV uses such unnecessary words. It's not that they fail to have understanding, even today. But the (T)NIV just has such simple words. Interestingly, the verb "to do" appears in the (T)NIV, but I'm not sure it does in the Hebrew... I can sort of see an argument for it - both in the words and also in the style - but it can read fine without it. You could also argue that if you leave out the "to do" - whether it's there or just assumed - that you end up becoming wise about ideals rather than actions. My faith remains unshaken by such trivialities, though.

vs 4

I'd love to explore what the KJV translators meant when they translated it "subtilty". But I'm no historic linguist. The element of training continues. The (T)NIV very helpfully explains the world that is translated 'simple'. Worth knowing that. Can't separate a moral idea from it.

vs 5

So these words aren't just for the simple. They are for the wise and discerning too. Now, I'd say you can't read 'wise' and 'discerning' without a moral understanding, if you can't read 'simple' and 'fool' without it. Who's with me?

vs 6

"Dark sayings"! Sounds like I've just travelled into Mordor! Thanks, KJV!

So these proverbs are to help us understand what the wise say. Because God knows that sometimes they speak in riddles, or are just fart-assing about.

vs 7

Probably as much because it leads to God as because they're a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

vs 8

Remember what both your parents had to say! Even though Solomon is the wise man of the Bible, even he recognises that his kids' mum(s) still have something to contribute.

vs 9

Valuable things, then. One's valuable materially, and the other more socially.

vs 10

Well, I mean, if you put it flatly like that, then of course I'll not do it. Of course, it's not as simple as that. I mean, what's the difference between an enticement and a legitimate request?

vs 11

Well, yes, someone asking you to help them ambush and kill some person on the street is probably enticing you to do evil.

No comments: