Thursday, October 15, 2009

Proverbs chapter 3

vs 25

Now, this could be read a couple of ways. I think I tend to read it that there's no need for the wise to be afraid of the disasters that overtake the foolish, rather than disasters generally. I guess one could make an argument to say that any wise person will be more prepared for any disaster, but I think no matter how wise, your house will still get destroyed by a wind blowing down the walls and killing your family, and I was the only one who survived to come and tell you. So read it the way you want.

vs 26

Note that the fear shouldn't be remitted because your wisdom will allow you to dodge the bullets. It's because God keeps you from being trapped. Wisdom, perhaps, is wisdom enough to know that you have to rely on God so much. In that case, you really are protected from tsunamis in a way that the fool is not. But God could also use your wisdom, which he has given you, to protect you.

vs 27

Who is due good? I suppose you should know from the context. I mean, the typical Christian viewpoint today is, "Everyone is made in the image of God, so everyone deserves good." But That's a lot of good to be giving. Certainly it's a lot of good that's due. Otherwise, who might be due good? People of Israel? Widows and orphans? What is "good", that it can be distributed exactly? Perhaps just treating a person well.

vs 28

I assume this is probably talking about money, rather than say an angle grinder. Although perhaps it could be talking about that too. I think the idea is that there is something beneficial in you keeping it an extra day. Or it could be that you're just too lazy to get it for him. On reflection, it probably is about both money or kind - I mean, it's written vaguely enough. So possibly it is about laziness and personal gain too.

vs 29

"Lives trustfully near you". Heh. In modern times I think we don't trust anyone we live near, unless we get to know them. We have no idea who lives in our apartment complex. We've never really felt comfortable going and knocking on doors and introducing ourselves, and now we've been here two years and I really only know the name of the person next door. She gave us lemon butter one time.

But even then, there's a social contract that you follow simply by living in society. People shouldn't feel bad that you're living near them.

vs 30

I don't know why you'd accuse them if they've done you no harm. Perhaps this is talking about the idea of accusing someone of something just because of a stereotype, or something like that. "He must have done something wrong, he's a gentile" sort of thing.

vs 31

But it's so tempting sometimes! I mean, you see someone get clocked, and sometimes you think, "Yeah, he deserved that, I wish I could have done that." But that's not the wise way to do things.

vs 32

That's a powerful verse to have after the one about violence. No matter what you might get put up against, just don't be violent, because you are no longer righteous if you are violent. In fact, violence is perverse! This verse could stretch back and affect all the stuff said so far too, I guess. But it certainly seems to come strongly after that last verse.

vs 33

Righteousness is its own blessing, in a way. But I think this is talking about other blessings.

vs 34

You haven't been mocked till you've been mocked by God. And I guess you haven't really been shown favour until you've been shown favour by God either.

vs 35

It is in fact a shameful thing to be foolish. It's not something that should be trumped up or valued in people. We should honour those who are wise, and who make wise decisions. And in church I don't think we're terrible at that. Although I guess most people generally hide their wise decisions out of humility. But we have to be very careful not to bring honour to stupidity, or things that don't honour God. I would say the act of a Christian marrying a non-Christian is not honouring to God, it is a foolish act, and we shouldn't honour it. But what do you do?

No comments: