Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sermon prep!

We interrupt the scheduled programming to begin work on a sermon about Jesus and his role as Messiah, and what other people were expecting.

Not the easiest of sermons to prepare from the beginning. But hey, it'll be fun.

In the meantime, here's a poem I wrote on the train.

My Music

Flashing landscape flits by.
My mind flitters with it, not thinking about any one thing.
Music plays in my ears - a compilation of songs,
my life in music.

Songs from my youth,
from happy times, sad times.
The songs have their own stories,
but I have added to them with my life.

This song makes me laugh -
singing it with Alex on guitar in the street,
back when we were both single.

The landscape flies by,
but I don't see it now.
A new song, and now I see Cyprus -
this song made me homesick,
made me Australian.

New music has to fight this feeling,
this relationship.
This familiarity makes me feel safe, comfortable,
even with sad memories.

No-one hears this song but me.
Others, some might share.
My wife shares the next one with me.

It makes fun of pop,
it appeals to us both.
Time passes with the scenery,
and I get closer to my destination.

Another song now.
This one is live.
Heard it first, like it best.
Penny and I sing the parts in the car as we drive.

Only one more song till Sydney.
This one goes way back to high school.
A skiing ad!
A friend played it to me on the bus.
Where is he now?
He will always be in this song.

More buildings, more wires.
Sydney is here, and my songs are gone,
just like my memories.
But they'll both be back
on the way home.

No comments: