Saturday, November 14, 2009

Proverbs chapter 8

vs 1

The idea being, I suppose, that wisdom and understanding don't just sit in their house playing chess, waiting for you to come knock on the door - sometimes, they positively call out, making their presence known.

vs 2

The most obvious place on the road, I wager.

vs 3

Again, a place you are going to notice someone. You'll remember that Absolom stood here on a chariot to get people's attention.

vs 4

Big city, then.

vs 5

I want to make this clear. This is a call for people who are not wise to become wise. The Bible simply does not allow for people who say, "Oh, this is who I am, and I'm staying this way, even though it's bad." Bollocks. I think we all need to hear this sometimes.

vs 6

Wisdom I suppose by definition is worth listening to and is going to be right. A bit like me, but a girl.

vs 7

Not falsity, which is what I would have thought would be the opposite of truthfulness. But no, wickedness, once again firmly stamping the value judgements on wisdom that we so much don't want to be there.

vs 8

Justice cannot be had without wisdom, and I think the more we get an idea of what wisdom is, the more we would begrudgingly have to agree with it. And anyone who has had anything to do with the legal system knows that it's not enough to have smart people determining what happens to other people, because smart people are a) bastards and b) not really all that smart eventually.

vs 9

Unfortunately, as we have learned at least once already in Proverbs, to gain wisdom needs a little bit of wisdom. It's like the dehydrated water of the attributes world. But even a fool who realises he is a fool has enough wisdom to realise, I guess. It's like when they get really, really obese people to start doing exercises. They don't get them doing boxing or sit-ups, or to touch their toes. They get them to clap along with the music. Start somewhere.

No comments: