Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Proverbs chapter 8

vs 28

Okay, Solomon is going all Genesis-y on us. I'm sure we still get the picture from the previous verses.

vs 29

Okay, I think he might be done. Not that there's anything wrong with being flowery and long. I just can't get much out of poetic statements like this.

vs 30

The alternatives for translation of this verse more than make up in complexity what I can't comment on in poetir repetition. The TNIV has that Wisdom was constantly at God's sideduring creation, the suggestion I suppose being that wisdom, being around before creation, was used in creation all the time. So wisdom is a part of creation.

But the NIV, and the NASB, go with the translation "as the craftsman" (or master workman) at his side. I guess the idea here is that Wisdom was intimately involved in the creation. Wow, the difference in result there is staggering.

But we go to the KJV for yet a third translation - now Wisdom is like a child, "as one brought up with him" - now it sounds like wisdom sort of tugs around with God at his apron strings. Perhaps Wisdom was still only young, and so had to stick near God because early creation was a dangerous place. Heh. More likely, I suppose, this is showing the close relationship between God and his creation of wisdom.

Of course, I only really needed the TNIV here, because it notes all three translation alternatives.

In any case, the rest of the verse shows well that Wisdom is a delighted servant of God, giving him praise the whole time. Not an aloof observer or a harsh mistress. Wisdom works for God.

vs 31

Wisdom likes humans. That's good to know. I guess the proverbial wisdom of the ant is only so exciting for so long. But God created humanity in his wisdom. It was a wise thing to do, to make us, and the whole lot of creation. We can't fault God on it, therefore. You can't say that he screwed up, did it wrong, or made the wrong choice in doing it at all. He's got a great, wise plan. And because it's wise, we know that it therefore must also be righteous and good - so we can't therefore blame God for doing something wrong in creating us.

vs 32

Okay, is this Wisdom talking (calling us children because she was, after all, there at creation?) or is it Solomon talking once again to his kids? I tend to go for the second one. And I could argue that the TNIV agrees with me, because it puts quote marks in there. But that is probably wrong. The quote marks on their own don't mean anything except that someone is talking - you can't use them to create false barriers or changes in sequence. And when we get to verse 34, the approach is direct, which makes me think more that it is wisdom.

vs 33

Still, with all that, it's easy to see how you could mistake it for yet another repetition - the language is very similar.

vs 34

When I get to this verse, I have to resile my idea that this is Solomon. I mean, perhaps people did watch Solomon's door daily - he was a wise man, after all. But surely this speaks more about going to the source of wisdom, to wisdom itself, and learning there.

vs 35

This is the kicker, of course. I don't think those who find Solomon find life and receive favour from God. While that would make hide and seek games with him that much more interesting, the fact is surely that you are gaining these things from finding wisdom.

vs 36

Once again, while I guess you could say that those who hate the king probably do love death, I doubt Solomon is trying to make threats to his sons who are reading this. Instead, no, Wisdom is making the threats - and she can do that, because it's not like she's going to order royal edicts against you. It's that by being unwise you're going to put yourself into stupid positions.

No comments: