Friday, December 11, 2009

Proverbs chapter 12

vs 1

I love verses that use words like 'stupid'. But that's the thing about knowledge - if you're not prepared to find out when you're wrong, how will you ever be right?

vs 2

Of course, if you're planning wicked schemes, it might be that you don't even care what God thinks. Which is not only wicked, buy also unwise.

vs 3

I have always felt this to be true. Have you never wondered about how unstable life must be for those who live doing the wrong thing all the time? Sure, they sometimes look like they've got it easy, but I've always wondered at how you could enjoy a life with so little stability.

Although, as someone pointed out to me last night, it's not exactly like I've had a stable life either.

vs 4

Yes, I am aware that the idea behind this is only really focused on how the wife impacts the husband. But the truth is that our lives to impact other people, and we can be a blessing or a curse to them - and spouses probably none more truthfully.

vs 5

I will point out for this one particularly that this isn't a 100% guarantee. There are some times that wicked people suggest noble courses of action, and there are some times that the righteous lead people astray. It works fine as a general rule, or proverb if you will, but especially in the proverbs that involve people, it must be recognised that we're slippery, strange beasts.

vs 6

Have you ever lay in wait for blood with your words? Sat waiting to say something that you knew would cause pain? Pretty awful prospect, but I can think of any number of times I've done it.

vs 7

I think only the wicked really think of overthrowing the righteous. The unwashed neutral masses probably prefer righteous leaders to wicked ones.

vs 8

This is quite true, really. I mean, how many times do people actually say, "That's so crazy it just might work?" in real life? Never. In real life people are hopelessly conservative. That's why we play roleplaying games.

vs 9

Wealth is apparently more important than status. Interesting concept. I wonder how the book of Proverbs read in aristocratic times. "Well, we have both! A ha ha. A ha ha." In a more modern time, where presentation is nine-tenths of the law, this is an interesting rule. Better to get an honest job and work it, than try to doll yourself up as something and be forever unemployed.

No comments: