Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Proverbs chapter 13

vs 14

So if you do meet a wise person, it can be well worth listening to them.

vs 15

Often times good judgment itself isn't enough. Being able to discern and even advise people about appropriate action isn't always enough to win favour. Only those who know to listen to the wise would do it, anyway.

The flipside of the coin is almost always true, though - people can't stand unfaithfulness. The lie of individuality never really prevents people from feeling the necessity of interdependence, even if they deny it.

vs 16

So you should be able to always eventually identify a fool.

vs 17

I'm not sure what the point of a wicked messenger is. I assume it is actually a reflection on the messenger and not just the message he carries. I guess not everybody you hire as a messenger will be honourable. Perhaps they duck off with the message and go to the pub, or they bring the wrong message, or they are bribable, or whatever.

vs 18

Although possibly stays in poverty and shame. I must say, the teachers who taught me on my teaching pracs were always appreciative of my willingness to listen to them and do what they suggested, especially in my weak areas.

vs 19

I'm not sure I see the mirror in this one. It's almost like two chopped together. How is turning from evil linked to a longing fulfilled? Unless we all long to turn from evil. Which we obviously don't, because fools detest it.

vs 20

I think I love this proverb so much I want to get it tattooed on my forehead. The problem being, then, that I'd probably then become someone who isn't worth walking with. Not that there's anything wrong with people with tattoos per se. Just those foolish enough to get Proverbs 13:20 tattooed to their forehead.

It's the sort of proverb you want to put up in a school, where kids can see that the crowd you hang out with affects you.

vs 21

And I think anyone who has really struggled with sin can vouch for this first part. Even if you never get caught, it's like a spectre that haunts you, follows you around, and never leaves, like old luggage.

I'm also sure that anyone who is righteous can tell you about the second part - although they'd probably be humble about it.

vs 22

Perhaps because bastard children don't inherit? I think probably more this is talking about the fact that wisdom and foolishness are to some extent inherited. Of course, with that goes money. If you live the wicked life, sure you might have a big pile of cash to give to your kids. But you also give them no wisdom to look after it, and it gets squandered - which means eventually it makes it to the righteous. It's God's version of the trickle-down effect.

vs 23

I wonder if by injustice it means the unjust. I would say this is talking about the fallow ground principle of the OT law. If you refuse to let your land lie fallow for the sake of the poor, then that is unjust.

vs 24

It's not PC, but I tell you what, spend 10 weeks in a school and you will be convinced that, if nothing else, corporal punishment is efficient.

vs 25

If only it were always true. It deserves to be, and as always, eternally it will be. But it's nice to see this sort of thing reflected in everyday life too. Of course, I'm sure some people don't want to see anyone go hungry. More power to them, I guess.

No comments: