Saturday, December 12, 2009

Proverbs chapter 12

vs 10

I assume people like Wilberforce knew this verse. I didn't even know it existed till today. I mean, I know there are a few verses that hint at that fact that God expects us to treat animals ok, but this verse makes it quite clear that it is righteous to look after animals, and that cruelty to animals is wicked. Of course, it doesn't say don't kill them. It doesn't even say don't farm them. And this is a culture that bled animals.

vs 11

Ouch. I will point out, though, that I don't think there's anything wrong with chasing fantasies once the farm work is done. There is nothing wrong with ambition per se, but you have to back it up with action.

vs 12

Plunder really only comes from thieving or warlike behaviour, both of which are risky. Farming isn't without risk, but I don't think the verse is really about farming anyway. I think it's about the harvest of righteousness.

vs 13

You can't be trapped in what you say if you are innocent, unless your very truthfulness is problematic. Like, for exapmple, saying that you are a Christian when that's the very thing people are persecuted for. But in a fairly homogenous society, you shouldn't have much trouble if you are innocent.

vs 14

The thing I like about this verse is that it shows that talking is as powerful, or useful, as working actively with one's hands. Words are powerful, and can bring good.

vs 15

A powerful truth, especially for someone like me who thinks they're always right.

vs 16

There is a good amount of wisdom in this. It doesn't mean ignore insults forever. It just means be measured and patient. Give things time. Sometimes simply mentioning in conversation down the track something to do with what insulted you can make people take pause and realise their mistake. Other times people really do want to insult you, but if you say nothing and deal with it appropriately, they are shamed.

vs 17

Ummm... duh?

vs 18

It's not only a fact, but also something to aim for. I hate to say, but I am as reckless as all get out. I very rarely try and use my words for healing, and so my tongue gets so sharpened that it becomes less useful - like using a sword for healing.

No comments: