Saturday, May 29, 2010

Ezekiel chapter 8

vs 10

Not only are there idols in the temple - there are idols of unclean animals and creepy crawlies! We read about Antiochus Epihanes going into the temple and sacrificing a pig on the altar, and we think, "Wow, insensitive prick."

But the Israelites were building idols of unclean animals right in the middle of the temple! So who're the pricks now?

vs 11

So basically, all the leaders of Israel and some guy, who I don't know, are in there offering worship to idols. In the temple. To idols. Of pigs and crap. It's a wtf situation.

vs 12

So this is how it runs. The people of Jerusalem, God's people, have been living wicked lives. And then, when they pray, oddly enough God stops listening. So then, they conclude "God is not listening to us, so let's make idols and worship them instead." This is the equivalent of not putting petrol in your car, so when it breaks down you say, "Oh, my car isn't working for me any
more, I'm going to make a car out of cardboard boxes and paper plates and drive that to work every day instead."

vs 13

But wait, there' s still more. And it's not going to be steak knives.

vs 14

I don't know who Tammuz is, but I know who it isn't - Yahweh.

vs 15

And yet things get still worse.

vs 16

Sun worship. I mean, are you kidding? When did you leave Egypt, like a million years ago? Yes, I know, more people worship the sun than just Akhanaten, but still.

vs 17

I will admit I don't know what the branch on the nose thing is, but the rest of it - idolatry combined with violence, wickedness, and general stuff God hates. Is it trivial? Apparently not. Is God going to let it go? No.

vs 18

Funny - the people thinking that God isn't listening to them is going to be nothing compared to when God actually ignores them because he is too busy kicking their ass.

No comments: