Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jonah chapter 2

vs 1

There isn't much more to do inside a fish, I will grant you. But rememeber, he was just thrown out of a boat in a wild storm, because he had disobeyed God. So him not dying is actually quite something.

vs 2

I don't know that he was actually dead - although if you're several feet underwater, that's pretty similar to the realm of the dead in my book. God can even answer prayers made from the ocean - that may not sound special to you, but imagine if you believed that your god only had power within the boundaries of a certain area - a forest, a desert, a nation - then you realise that one nation's God can hear his people even in the deep of the water. That is awesome.

vs 3

I can't think of anything more scary. Did I mention I'm looking at a boat today? Sigh.

vs 4

Jonah may have been running from God, but at the end of the day, God is still his God. God had chased him all the way out to that boat, now perhaps he might save him from the depths.

vs 5

He really was out there in the water. I mean, it's curtains. He might not have even been able to swim.

vs 6

As far as he was concerned, he was dead. But God saved him from death, in a rather incredible, if uncomfortable, way. Does this mean that he has a change of heart and will now do what God says? Well, again, the book is a little more complex than that. Because, really, so are people.

vs 7

He didn't pray until he knew he was going to die, from the sound of it. Man, we are stubborn sometimes.

vs 8

Funny, one of the psalms I was looking at earlier talked about worthless idols. God really, really hates idolatry. I think idolatry is like the 'sin against the Spirit', in that it attributes God to other things. In that way, it is an unforgiveable sin - until you turn away from idols, you can't worship God.

vs 9

His vows go to God, and he will keep them, he says. He also says that he will say, "Salvation comes from the Lord." Will he say that to the Ninevites? I wonder, because if he did, that could explain their reaction.

vs 10

Ew. But then, there's only two other ways he was getting out - I think I prefer this one.

No comments: