Saturday, January 15, 2011

Psalm 28

vs 1

God's reaction to David will determine what happens to him. David has to rely on God, because there is nothing else to rely on.

vs 2

I wonder if that means to heaven, or actually towards the temple? I mean, apparently Muslims used to pray towards Jerusalem, before changing it to Mecca, so I wonder if Jews used to do that too? I'm afraid I don't know enough about their liturgical and prayer culture. Anyway, I think the point of the verse is more that David wants God to hear him.

vs 3

I wonder if something specific happened to David to get him to write this line - like one of his neighbours did something - or if it was just a sinful sort of thing that fit with the tempo of the psalm? I mean, it sounds like, "Don't treat me like a sinner, like that Steve, who I know talks about me behind my back. Steve..."

vs 4

Yeah, that Steve, show him what happens when you talk behind people's backs. Ahem. But don't treat me like one of them, because I'm calling out to you for help.

vs 5

Not necessarily because of what they did, then? I mean, that's the idea, I think. Sure, you might have sinned. But a sinful act alone is not going to damn you. It's when you have flagrant disregard for God, and you don't think about him and what he has done, and you dont' call on him for help, that's when you're toast.

vs 6

That's a nice verse. Now, is it a statement that God has heard his cry (the cry from the last few verses) somewhere between the writing of the psalm? Or is it an example of what they call the 'prophetic perfect', where it suggests that something has already happened, because you can trust God so much that you can treat it as if it's happened even though it hasn't yet?

vs 7

These are great statements, but again, is this remembering God's faithfulness in the past, or most recently? Not that it really matters.

vs 8

This is probably a comforting thought. God isn't just the strength of David, but he is the strength of his whole people. Assuming, that is, that they call out to him, rather than being like Steve, who disregards the work of God's hands.

vs 9

It's a request that you make to sort of remind God of things that might glorify him, and promises he has made. There's nothing wrong with asking God for things that he has promised. I mean, it shows that you want it, and that you know he wants it, and that you believe he can and will give it. So long as you don't ask in a whiny way, I guess.

No comments: