Saturday, December 08, 2007

Acts chapter 9

vs 1-2

Saul is a man with a mission. This verse makes it obvious that Saul was about locking Christians up in some sort of temple prison. Nasty. He's going as far as Damascus to find them and drag them back to Jerusalem!

Also notice what Christians are called - followers of the 'Way'. Sounds like a bunch of hippies if ever I've heard.

vs 3

Uh oh. Wait, perhaps God is going to reward Saul for his service? Probably not - all the miracles seem to have been on the Christian side so far.

vs 4

Now, normally I would think we would imagine a mighty voice thundering out of the clouds when we imagine this sort of encounter. But the voice is, well, perhaps not pleading, but it is certainly not portrayed as booming.

vs 5

Do you really want to know, Saul? I'm betting you were hoping for another answer. Perhaps because the voice is coming from Jesus and not from God is why it isn't booming and wrath-ready. I think that's a bit simplistic. But it's a nice idea.

vs 6

Jesus doesn't say "Believe that I am the son of God, Saul. Believe that I can take away your sin. Then go and do my work." Jesus owns him already. It's really that simple. Saul has the option of "Yes, Lord" or "Yes, Master".

vs 7

Which makes talk about miracles all the more interesting. Remember John the Baptist saw the Holy Spirit come down on Jesus like a dove. Did everyone else see it, or just him? Stephen saw heaven open - apparently no one else did, or you would assume they'd stop stoning him long enough to look.

So miracles can happen in a way that no one else but you sees. Beware.

However, they did hear the voice! No wonder they were so speechless.

vs 8

That'll learn him. I don't know that this is so much a punishment - I mean, he gets healed when he gets to Damascus. Perhaps it forces him to rely on a Christian? Perhaps it just humbles him because he's got to hold hands all the way to Damascus.

vs 9

That to me says he was feeling kinda humbled. I mean, blindness doesn't prevent you eating or drinking. Especially if you're eating some humble pie.

vs 10

Ananias was quite possibly going to be one of the first people to be locked up by Saul.

vs 11

Instead, God wants Ananias to go knock on his door and say "Hey." I love that in over 2000 years of technological advance, we still name roads things like "Straight Street".

No comments: