Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Acts chapter 9

vs 32

After all, most of the Christians who had been dispersed from the persecution would have been from the original Jerusalem church, so he's just keeping tabs on old friends.

vs 33

Who I am assuming from the word 'found' wasn't part of the original Jerusalem church.

vs 34

That's a pretty Christ-y miracle! What was it's purpose though?

vs 35

Now, this actually goes against what I preached about on miracles recently - that miracles don't convince people to believe in God. But I stick by what I say. I think you have to read into this a little bit - people see the miracle, they ask "What's going on?", Peter preaches a sermon, they believe. I know it doesn't say that, but it fits the pattern of Acts.

vs 36

Good for her! I think we've moved on to a new story.

vs 37

Oh, well, that was a short story. I guess when you're always helping the poor and the sick, you can die pretty easily.

vs 38

Ahh, the story isn't over! She was obviously such a valued member of the Christian community, that they wanted Peter to mourn her? Or to bring her back? Or just to replace her with someone else? Who knows why they called on him.

vs 39

Much loved, huge impact life. Sounds like they just wanted Peter to eulogise her.

vs 40

And just like that, Joppa was the scene for a resurrection.

vs 41

I really cannot begin to believe what this would be like in our modern culture. I don't think it would have the same effect, especially if there weren't TV cameras and stuff to prove the miracle was a miracle. Even then, people would argue. "Late Onset Life Return" or something.

vs 42-43

The result in Joppa, though, was that people got to meet this woman with her story, and they believed. I'm sure that, with Peter staying there, they also heard him preach, and that had something to do with it too.

Now we are introduced to a character called Simon the tanner. Who is this person? We may find out tomorrow!

No comments: