Monday, January 11, 2010

Proverbs chapter 22

vs 1

It's not that rich scum don't get stuff - I mean, their money gets it for them. But the old saying is that money can't buy you love. I guess money doesn't buy a lot of things, like proper friendships, or peace of mind.

Esteem is actually vital to healthy psychological growth, apparently, which is why as teachers we're not supposed to crush the souls of those who we teach. Fun, though.

vs 2

They have lots of things in common, of course. But the idea that they have a common source is one of those things that we tend to think of as important, like when something is really old, or really new. It's not that the source of something is intrinsically important - except in this case, because God is of course by his nature important.

vs 3

If you're lucky, the prudent might share some of their canned food with you after the war with the aliens starts. What, planning for alien invasion or zombie apocalypse isn't prudent? I think you're splitting hairs.

vs 4

Great definition of humility! It's not often we get something put so simply. You wouldn't think it would be hard to be humble before God, would you? I mean, given his power, his eternal nature, hell even his size should be scary (everything else gets scarier with size, I think. There's a stage where when the cornflake could crunch you, it's scary).

And yet we look at God, but we don't really see him, I guess, because it is so easy to not be humble before God. Maybe that's why Christians today like to focus on all the creation stuff - it's an easy way to see God's bigness and power. Screw that, sorry guys. Learn some diversity, I get sick of hearing how great God is because he created a solar system, most of which I never use. But I use his grace every day, and his defeat of evil gives me hope. I live with those, and they are no less magical. Everyone thinks chocolate is great. Teach people about grace.

No, I'm not being divisive, I'm doing my part to swing the pendulum.

I haven't even mentioned that if we are able to somehow switch our minds on and realise how awesome God is, there is a reward. I think it takes a bit of faith to accept that, but it's there.

vs 5

Just another way of telling us that wickedness equals death. We've heard it before. Steer clear of wickedness! If only it were that easy, eh? Our world seems to be drenched in wickedness. Some of it turns out to be quite fun or exciting. Some people like dodging traps and pitfalls, though they may not like dying.

vs 6

Even people who didn't treat their kids fantastically can still see this law at work. Things stick from youth. Even people who were abused or whatever in an orphanage still take stuff away from it. These days, I think we worry a lot about turning kids off things by trying too hard. But they actually do need leadership, they need to be told what to do. The whole idea that kids can build that up for themselves is garbage.

vs 7

It's just a fact that this is how it is. It is probably also asking you which camp you'd rather be in.

vs 8

Justice is eternal. I've said that before, but this verse is a great reminder. Eternal things win out, even if it seems like they constantly struggle with the things of this world.

vs 9

Not everyone lords it over the poor. Share your food with them! There it says it, right there. Don't tell them to get a job! Share food with them! Then tell them to get a job, because it kind of does suggest working is wise in Proverbs too.

vs 10

I wonder how many people breathe a sigh of relief when I leave somewhere...

I'm not as bad as I used to be, but still. It bears thinking about. It's worth passing that message onto kids too, because there are a number just like me, who start arguments just for the sake of it. Kids at home, take note - most people don't like conflict. It makes them uncomfortable. You're probably cowing thise people, not with your mighty logic, but mostly with social discomfort. How does that make you feel?

No comments: