Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Proverbs chapter 23

vs 26

He's buttering his son up for another talk on women. It's interesting how there needs to be an appeal to hear these words. I wonder if this is because Solomon is having to tell his son to do as he says, rather than what he does? Or perhaps if the son has problems with adulteresses?

vs 27

I suppose a well is already deep, so it also being narrow is more uncomfortable than it being a bigger hole? Be easier to climb out of though.

Anyway, the point is, these women are a trap that you don't want to fall into.

vs 28

The whole idea of them lying in wait... it makes it sound so sinister. And you know, I'm sure that some adultery doesn't happen that way. But the thing is, some does. There are some who actually go on the prowl. So therefore, you have to be on your guard.

vs 29

I think we're going to find out who. None of them are nice things, though. So it's not going to be happy people.

vs 30

So people who are living to drink wine apparently don't have so happy a life. Why you would mix wines, I have no idea. But there you go. Hmm, perhaps because you don't have enough of one wine to drink? That's fairly low.

vs 31

Well, gazing at it is probably one of the better things you can do. I mean, better than drinking it.

vs 32

As anyone who's ever had a hangover knows.

But I actually think he is talking about the poisonous bite of alcoholism.

vs 33

That sounds like both short term alcohol abuse and long term problems. And note that, although there is no editorial comment to tell us whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, I think you can tell from the tone of the passage that it's not good. Seeing strange things and imagining confusing things is seen as negative. There's a verse for all you who say that drugs aren't mentioned. Best I can do so far, anyway.

vs 34

I have no idea what that means, but it's an awesome picture. From the next verse, it makes me think he's talking about someone who has been press ganged. I guess they did that even back in Solomon's time? Good to know the navy has a strong history.

vs 35

The idea here being that you were too drunk to feel it, and now you're on a ship, and the only thing you can do is drink more and do the work, in the best traditions of the British Navy. I wonder how many used this 19th saying to legitimised press ganging?

No comments: