Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Proverbs chapter 22

vs 11

There are some things that a king or ruler will always value highly. A pure heart and gracious speech are very endearing. This verse is the epitome of what I always thought I would do with my life. I'm sad now, for lots of reasons.

vs 12

How does one frustrate your words? Is it by changing things so that what you say just ends up wrong? You know, like, "Don't worry, trees never fall down here." *CRACK!*

vs 13

WTF! It's an awesome verse, but what?

I think - and I'm going out on a limb here - that the sluggard is making crazy excuses not to go out and get his ass a job.

vs 14

I won't make the obvious, obvious joke here.

I suppose you fall into it because you're wanting to get some adultery on, and so you are already under the Lord's wrath.

vs 15

You can't stop kids from being foolish. They are kids! This isn't necessarily saying beat them and the foolishness will go. The rod is a symbol of discipline. It is as much used by kings in the rule of their domain as it is a parent over a child. It's the discipline that changes the child from foolish to wise, not the beating.

vs 16

It's funny that the feathering of one's own nest at the expense of others can actually bring you down to utter poverty. It doesn't make sense - but it's true. Because life isn't as simple as we'd like to think or scientists make out.

vs 17

Now, this is where I really like what the TNIV has done. If there are 30 saying here, then they have done well in showing me, because I wouldn't have otherwise known! Plus, now I know what to count as one whole saying.

Of course, if they're wrong they're leading me astray.

And so we start, of course, with this same refrain. Listen up, already!

vs 18

Now this is a slightly different argument. Listen up, because it is actually pleasing to be wise, and to know wisdom. And you know what, it is! People love the proverbs. They love to know wisdom. They love to memorise verses from it.

vs 19

Even me? I don't know whether to feel special or worthless.

vs 20

So... thirty sayings, eh? I'm feeling pretty good about the TNIV right about now.

No comments: